SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I'ld like to know the names of those other hurricanes that they sailed in that were "far worse than Sandy". Even though I'm not sure if they made it beyound the tropical force winds of Sandy.
At the time they were picked up by the Coast Guard, the Coasties reported 30' seas and 50 knot winds. So maybe to the Bounty crew, this wasn't the worst they had ever seen. That would certainly be true if they had actually been in hurricane force winds before. What made Sandy the worst in terms of loss was the failure of both generators (one was said to be non-functional when they left New London) which led to the inability to pump out any water, the sinking and the loss of life.

But that's an interesting question about what hurricanes they had previously sailed in before. The survivors can all say they sailed in Hurricane Sandy but, according to the CG, they were not in hurricane force winds at the time of the sinking. So the crew's claim they had sailed in hurricanes before could have meant simply being out on the water during a hurricane and skirting the outer edges. Walbridge did say something to that effect when he described how he "sails into hurricanes."

In the Halloween Storm of 1991, data buoys recorded wave heights over 100' yet that storm was not as damaging as Sandy because much of it was out at sea. Hurricane Grace didn't make the left hook like Sandy did and Grace wasn't nearly as big as Sandy but, with two other storms, produced some extremely dangerous conditions at sea (100 MPH winds and 100' seas). I have not seen any reports stating Sandy equaled or approached those conditions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook