SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter under a tarp
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Winter under a tarp

I help my Boat Buddy tarp his 34 foot sport cruiser each year. He uses some verticals bottom-blocked and padded to the deck and tie-braced to the rails. Then a wide, yellow shipping ratchet strap, fore to aft goes across and gets screwed to the tops of the studs, over the "spoiler" and down to a smaller, regular ratchet strap, going to each stern corner cleat..like a split-stay.
We add a few pc of lath, screwed to the sides of the vert. members to add strength and pad all the critical areas like the radome, ant. mounts and the entire length of the shipping strap and lath.
Then a huge, heavy-duty 30'X40' (?) silver poly tarp gets pulled over the whole thing; wrapping corners like a Christmas present. The edges are secured with those funky yellow snap-ring dealies and lines are secured to each side, passed under the keel. Some are tied off to the cleats, stern rails or prop shafts.

He figgers a tarp gets replaced every three to four years (blue poly only lasted two!) and most of the wood (well labeled and saved) will last nearer ten. Local costs for a shrinky-dink job have priced out to near $1500 , vs. a hundred or so amortized over three+ years!!!! All fits on top of and in the cargo area of the Explorer... along with tols and spares! Batteries consumables and the inflatable ride along on the trip home.

It took the two of us almost three lazy hours to wrap it up. A late b-fast, a couple cups o'coffee and a later stop for sammitches on the way home make a fall chore into fellowship and fun.

I suspect the "new" boat will have a similar tarp job soon. A couple of 2x? props fore and aft bungee'd to the mast; some soft strap collars around same and a couple of ratchet straps from pulpit-to-mast-to-stern will support it. The folded "flap" astern will make a nifty boarding spot and ventilator. A 28X16 footer should make it stem ta stern with the snap toggles tied to the toe rail, tho I figger two separate sections might be better than a taped slit up the lee side!

AFA wrap?? Some use it again. If ya have the $$ and the inclination; go ahead w/wrap. The prop shop has been under renovation for a few years. He has wrapped the new section with recycled shrink-um. Sure do make it windproof !

HTH,
Paul

Last edited by deltaten; 12-09-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook