SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Choice
Thread: Boat Choice
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2001

Daniel123 is on a distinguished road
Boat Choice

I''m a "boat owner/liveaboard wannabee" who has done LOTS of research and reading. Now if I could get some advice from this BB on boat choices I''d be appreciative. It''s time to put the plan into action.

I am an early fifties man who will be sailing and living aboard with my girlfriend. We have limited sailing experience but learn quickly. I''ve always been a "jump in there and do it" kind of person.

We want to sail the ICW, the Bahamas, Florida Keys, and the Caribbean. She wants
to see Hawaii and Australia, but first we need to keep it simple, spend a few years
in the aforementioned areas, and decide then if we want to go further. My guess is
we won''t, but it is a possibility.

We want something relatively comfortable to live on. We will spend more time at anchor than we do sailing. Something in the 35 to 42 foot range should be sufficient. But we do want the beamiest boat possible, for maximum interior space and comfort.

The boat does not have to be fast. We''re "on vacation", there is no schedule to
keep, so comfort is more important than speed.

Shallow draft is desired, in order to accommodate the many Bahamas anchorages
and the ICW.

I absolutely love the Hans Christian interiors, but the cockpit is just too small. That area will be our "outdoor living room" so to speak, so more room there is needed.
She wants wheel steering and won''t budge on that desire.

We do not have an unlimited pot of money. $100,000 is our absolute upper limit,
and I''d really prefer to spend a bit less than that. So, given the above scenario, what advice do you have to offer? Thank you for your thoughts on this situation.

D
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook