SailNet Community - View Single Post - Installing refrigerator
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012
Soverel 30 MKIII

karenmroberts is on a distinguished road
Re: AC fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahab211 View Post
I've used an AC fridge and left frozen chemical ice packs in it when away from shore and a cheap inverter will work off your batteries in a pinch. For a hundred bucks it's a cheap fix.
Me, too! From one who can only afford old boats ... I've used Dorm frigs on two different boats and they never rusted. I'm sure if you submerged them in salt water they would but that's not likely and even if they did you're only out $100 bucks. I do not have the money for such luxuries. The only thing about dorm frigs is they need to have breathing room. They are not designed to have the backs enclosed so just be careful where they are stored. For a day sail, I just keep the door closed and never have a problem. Generally there are just drinks in the frig and nothing that will spoil over a day outing. Dual voltage frig means larger draw on house system and now upgrading battery banks, blah, blah, blah, the 'boat that Jack built'. Guess it comes down to what are you using the boat for and what's in your wallet???

Last edited by Faster; 12-10-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook