SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Toilet (good, bad, and ugly)
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Marine Toilet (good, bad, and ugly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
...There is a cruiser vid done by Drake Paragon, where the guys composted has a failed fan.
And, as I recall, he said it didn't smell much (if at all) without the fan. Installing a new fan is a snap, compared to repairing/replacing blackwater plumbing.

That said, I have to agree with you about "chasing" the blackwater out of the toilet. I have a holding tank (13 gal) and a Jabsco toilet. A few things I try to always do to keep the odors to an absolute minimum. First, ALL the fittings on the tank are on top. None of the tank fittings have blackwater pushing against them. This prevents those little stray drips that inevitably happen with most holding tanks. Second, I have TWO vents in the tank, so there is always some flow of fresh air through the tank to help prevent it from going totally anoxic. One vent is fine for equalizing pressure, but you need a second vent to keep fresh air moving through the tank. Third, I "chase" the toilet waste, first with a couple/three extra pump strokes of water, then I flip the switch to pump the bowl dry and keep pumping as fast as practicable until I can't hear anything going into the tank. That way the hose from the toilet to the tank has as little blackwater in it as possible. This helps keep any residual fluid in the hose from going anoxic. Finally, I try not to let the tank sit full or partially full for any longer than is absolutely necessary, and when I pump out (if the system is going to be sitting unused for more than a day or two) I add a couple of tablespoons worth of "OxiClean" to the tank to help digest any residual poop in the tank.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook