SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is a marine survey really worth it for an inexpensive boat?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Is a marine survey really worth it for an inexpensive boat?

I did not have a survey done. I did have a quick haul and inspected everything that seller claimed had been done. I did some research on the internet as you are doing and just decided that the 800-1000(quotes for a 30ft) was just not worth that money. I have since put that 1000 buck toward new standing rigging.

Seems surveys are a good idea on a big $$$ boats but after reading through some sample surveys online I kinda got the feeling I was paying someone to do nothing more than a visual inspection. That I can and did do.

There is a book at Barnes and Noble : BARNES & NOBLE | Inspecting the Aging Sailboat by Don Casey | NOOK Book (eBook), Paperback, Hardcover

This is all you should have to send and maybe a bit on a haul. I use progressive insurance and no survey required for liability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook