SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updating electrical system
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Updating electrical system

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszerlag View Post
I just purchased a 87 Pearson 39 and plan to refit the boat. There is very little equipment on the boat, no batteries, older charger, etc.
This can actually be a good thing as it allows you to start from scratch.

Quote:
I will be keeping the boat on a mooring for the foreseeable future and would like some thoughts, insights on the most practical way to power the boat.
Your alternator should be used to get the bank back to 80-85% state of charge. From there you will want to use solar to "top up" during the week when the boat is sitting idle. Getting batteries back to 100% SOC is perhaps the most important aspect to longevity. Chronic undercharging is what kills most batteries on mooring sailed boats because alternators alone rarely if ever get a battery bank on a sailboat back to 100% SOC. The article below should help.

Installing A Marine Solar System

If you don't have much space for a panel consider a Solbian panel on a bimini.

Installing A Solbian Solar Panel

Quote:
This year I would like to get the basics installed and then be able to add a wind generator next year or so.
Wind will depend entirely upon where you are located. Solar very often outperforms wind in many ares of the US.. There are only three wind gens I would even consider installing. The Airmaax, the D-400 and the Superwind and they are all quite expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Quote:
My thought is to go with 2 bank, one isolated starting battery and two house batteries. I would like to be able to use solar to keep charged while on mooring and maybe more if doable.
Again read the article above for solar. It can be done very reasonably. A charge management device such as a Echo Charge, Balmar Duo Charge, Blue Sea ACR or Yandina combining relay will all work very well to keep the start battery topped up.

Quote:
I've read so much, including all of Nigel's book and articles but wondering what other people have done. Thanks in advance for any and all info, thoughts.
David
There are many ways to skin the cat but suffice it to say, within reason, you can never have too much battery capacity.... Also a battery monitor will be some of the best money spent..

Installing A Battery Monitor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-10-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook