SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alternatives to Sailrite?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Alternatives to Sailrite?

I think I got that sail from Atlantic Sail Traders. Second Wind and Minneys also have a good supply of used sails. The things to look for are, of course, the types of attachments at the luff (I had to change from slugs to outside slides at the luff and to 7/8" slugs on the foot), the sail's condition, stitching, weight, etc. Pretty much what you'd look for in any new sail. The most important thing is probably the luff angle. If it's right, the foot and luff can be saved as-is and maybe both tack and clew. That's a lot of sewing you don't have to do. If the foot and luff can be preserved then all you need to do is carefully layout the leech cut. You may not even have to remove the headboard if the luff length is right. The batten pockets need to be removed and moved in and maybe shortened and a new tape sewn on the leech with a leech line in it. On the sail I just did, I added a couple of layers to the patches, beefed up the batten pockets, added a third reef, and sewed in new grommets and corner leathers.

One thing you probably can't efficiently do to a used sail is to recut the actual curvatures. If doing that, it would probably be better to just start from scratch with new sailcloth. If the sail is way too big, it may be a problem because the deepest part of the sail's shape may be out of place once recut.

It IS a bit of work but a good thing to be able to do. If you have more time than money like me, it's almost a no-brainer.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-10-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook