SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Hanse 325/ Jeanneau 33i

Here it is the promised report on the Hanse 325 the boat that is making an amazing ARC. We have already talked about the boat that was the first Hanse that had a better designed interior, less ikea even if I I don't really like the plastic decor on the nav station.

The boat is relatively heavy with 5200kg an high efficient bulbed keel with a draft of 1.83m and a ballast ratio of 28%. It has 3.30m of beam and a modern hull designed by Judel/Vrolijk and a sail area upwind of 51.35 m.

It is a good boat but probably not the one that I like more on this class.

I would prefer the Marc Lombard designed Jeanneau 33i, a bit bigger (9.74 to 9.55m) weighting a bit less (4645kg) with a slightly bigger draft (1.9m) , a similar bulbed keel and most of all a much bigger B/D ratio (32%).

The beam is similar (3.34m) and that with the superior draft and the much bigger B/D will make the jeanneau a more powerful boat with a better stability. The sail area is similar (51.5sqm) so the Jeanneau will be a faster boat with a better stability.

Both the Jeanneau and the Hanse are capable boats, boats that pass therequirements for certification on EC offshore category even if not by a big margin. These boats with an experienced sailor and in the right season can safely make ocean passages even if they were not designed with that in mind.

However they are very good and safe coastal cruisers and can sail with relatively rough conditions.

Let me point out that this is a very different boat than the slightly smaller (but very different) jeanneau 30i that was tested against those older boats by a German magazine (video some posts back). I donít think those oldies would have done better than the 33i, even in adverse conditions, like the ones on that test. The jeanneau 30i has a smaller draft and only 24% of B/D. I donít understand that big differences since it is also a Marc Lombard design. The 30i is just a Coastal cruiser, contrary to the 33i that has an offshore capacity.

Movies from both boats:

20/04/2009 - Essai du Sun Odyssey 33i... por Voilesnews
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook