SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get the money for your first sailboat?
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 12-10-2012
Re: How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

This will sound like a bad idea, but it's what I did...

Maxed out my 401K contributions for a couple of years while I figured out what I wanted and then took a 401K loan. At the time it seemed that my tax deffered savings was better than a bank account or savings bond. Better than trying to finance and older boat that I could have only gotten a high interest personal loan against. It worked out for me.

I got lucky, took the loan when the market was in great overall shape and new sailboats where selling faster than they could make them. This was a trade in for a new Catalina and the dealer just wanted to get rid of it before they had to start paying winter storage/haul out. So I got what I consider a very good deal.

The market soon tanked and I paid most of it back through a recession. That is not to say that it will always work out that way.

Fast forward 11 years and I sell the 40 year old boat for about 80% of what I have into it (not bad for 11 years of fantastic sailing) and use the money to put down on something newer and shinier.

Plus I made some great friends in the process of selling it.

Like I said, a bad idea that worked out well for me, but there might be better ways to do it.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome