SailNet Community - View Single Post - what type battery and size are you using on your spirit
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012

windyway is on a distinguished road
Re: what type battery and size are you using on your spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southron Spirit View Post
ww,
how are you securing the batterys from rolling around in the v-berth hold ?
do you need a special battery charger for the optima batterys ?
the battery charger i have a conventional low mainantce or deep cycle maintaince free switch and a 2 amp or 10 amp switch.

i was just going to wire two batterys togther for more amps and charge
it through the first battery .

you should try and do a video tour of your boat and put it on you tube.
1) See photo's attached for battery hold down.
2) Yes as you can see I 'm using the NOCO genius 2 bank 20A battery smart charger.

There are a lot of different chargers out there, all will work to some degree but the better smart chargers keep the batteries in optimum condition and notify you of a problem by their LED's. I do not want surprises when I go out on my boat, that's why I try & fix, repair & modify Windy Way as best as I'm able or don't do it at all. If I know there is a weak point I can work with it.

The hold down consists of 2 pieces of plywood. One I cut out the shape of the battery then I bonded it to another for the base. Both batteries are tucked aft of the access hole so minimal storage space is taken up. This spot is also used to counter the weight of the engine on the STBRD side of the transom.
The black & red wires going forward are for the new windlass I'm installing (see separate thread) & the hoses you see are from the bilge pumps located just forward of the keel in the lowest part of the hull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery1.jpg (56.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Battery2.jpg (48.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by windyway; 12-11-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook