SailNet Community - View Single Post - recutting my blown out main
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2001

RichH will become famous soon enough
recutting my blown out main

mmmmmm Something doesn''t sound quite right here as normally with a dacron sail (I am supposing that the sail is dacron) with a *3 strand dacron bolt rope* usually over time develops into a draft-aft with more fullness configuration as the sail ages. What normally occurs is that the dacron bolt rope shrinks with age, not stretches. A stretched bolt rope results in a ''flatter'' sail and that doesnt seem like what you are posting. If you have the original dimensions of the sail, carefully measure the luff and foot to see in fact that the boltrope has changed dimensions. Normally, when constructing a new dacron sail, a boltrope is pre-set/pre-loaded with approximately 1" shortening for every 10-11ft. of luff or foot length.... meaning that sometimes you can recondition (somewhat) the shape and draft position by loosening/easing and repositioning (or replacing) a shrunken bolt-rope.
Many times a sail with a shrunken bolt rope will set ''OK'' if you use extreme halyard and outhaul tension. On my own sails, I used to readjust/replace the dacron boltropes every 2nd year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook