SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running a fridge on a mooring...
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Running a fridge on a mooring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynShearlock View Post
If you want refrigeration, think about an Engel portable. It's a true refrig, not like a Coleman cooler that just cools a bit, and has about the lowest power requirement of anything out there. Runs on 12V -- depending on how big of a solar panel(s) you have and the climate, it might work. They're not cheap but they are wonderful. Everyone that I've talked to with one LOVES it -- see the comments on my blog post about it.
I have a small Engle on a customers boat that runs 24/7 on the mooring. It runs off a 460Ah house bank and is being charged via two Kyocera 140W panels and a Blue Sky MPPT charge controller. Batteries have yet to drop below 95% SOC even when it rained for two weeks straight. This system however was sized and installed as a matched set up..

This fridge however is VERY, VERY efficient and a dorm fridge will draw multiples what the Engle does... I would not recommend this with a dorm fridge, without a solar array the size of the sky dome......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook