SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

I seem to recall there being three separate professionals from the TSC hat have now opined that the Bounty, as whole, was a inferior operation to their standards. I've read reference to her physical condition, propensity to take on danger and the relative lack of professional crew. That all adds up to a cultural problem with Bounty.

It doesn't make than all the Captain's fault, but he would be the leader responsible for it.

As speculation, I can image a laid back culture would be very attractive to some. Less structure, fewer rules, not living under the tyranny of "the man". I have no way to say that was the culture, I'm only pointing out how a very distructive one could still cause its members to think it was great and retain admiration for its leadership.

My point is that the general support of the crew for their Captain does not convince me that he was a good leader. In some cases, the best leaders are not the most liked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook