SailNet Community - View Single Post - $500.00 Reward for Catamaran under $120k
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012

amphibious1 is on a distinguished road
Re: $500.00 Reward for Catamaran under $120k

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
uhhh, you aren't willing to compromise on length but you would do a wharram? Have you ever been on a Wharram? I was on a 48' Wharram and it was very little bang for the buck, very little interior space for its length and not very well laid out imho. Plus they are mostly wooden...

It's pretty amazing that gemini's have circumnavigated, though I do remember reading that the owner of the company took one across the atlantic in order to "prove" that it could be done, and it was pretty miserable...

I mean, don't gemini's have the bridgedeck clearance of a pontoon bridge? They are pretty heavy for their size, and I can't imagine them not slamming all day long in any type of short chop... any links to the blog of that person who circumnavigated in one?
Aloha
Yes in my opinion bridgedeck clearance and beam are to very important characteristics to a catamaran. That is why I would go with the Wharram over some of the smaller production cats.

The couple that did the circumnavigation on a Gemini are called Slapdash.
We meet them in the BVI. Their blog is one of the best on the web very funny. Enjoy reading their blog and videos
jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook