SailNet Community - View Single Post - Halloween Hurricane
View Single Post
post #259 of Old 12-11-2012
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Halloween Hurricane

I've been down the Jersey Shore a couple of times since the storm, trying to salvage a friend's house. The devastation there is almost too much to convey in words. Municipalities have done a good job of coordinating the recovery but it's going to take a couple of years before it gets back to normal. The scale of the damage is going to cause a lot of reassessment of building codes and new bulkhead projects. The only silver lining is that, in this lousy economy, it's putting a lot of previously out of work construction crews back to work.

With the apparent increased frequency of large, destructive storms and the rise in sea levels from melting ice, sea level populations around the world are going to have to start planning to deal with these things.smurphy

I have also made a few trips to the NJ coast. We took some genrators down to some of my friends who are trying to clean up and live there full time. I used to have a house in Ocean Vity, NJ..the island town next going south from Atlantic City/ Absecon Island. My old house is no longer standing as the storm blew it up. The devastation is staggering. As far as building codes. I agree they will change, The only thing that saved most of the houses was that Ocean City and many communities south of there 25 years ago established a very strict dune buhilding program and stayed with it. These dunes surved as the sacrifical property in s a storm like this. and the waves broke further away from the shoreline because of it. However there was no fighting the surge itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome