SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012

sparklepl3nty is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
But as you have said the ship because it is reallly a large personal yacht in terms of classifcation does not have to pass any real CG or stringent inspections. Had this just been any other yacht which had sank, it propably would not have had the noteriety... It may beg back to a questuion to which JulieMor asked in the beginnning, why does this Bounty evoke so much response?

No wonder you and some in the TSC now want to distance your self from them. I guess you couldnt when they were alive as you were collegues and didnt want to be tagged with being jealous of the publicity and noteriety this wannabe tall ship received. Also you want people to know that you have more stringent qualifications as far as crew and condition of your ships. You are the serious tall ships after all and the Bounty was just playing at it.
I'm finding this all pretty offensive, but I will address the notoriety question.

1. She's a famous boat, due to being a replica and traditionally designed (tens of thousands of visitors would see her, then walk away thinking she was a pirate ship simply because of appearance), as well as being in the Mutiny movie, Pirates of the Caribbean, and other movies. Naturally, much of the public is going to recognize a name in the media like Bounty and get carried away.

2. I was mate a couple years ago on a "booze cruise" schooner in Florida. Even though we charged the same, our boat was lovely and we provided an experience that was like no other in that area, there was a motorized "pirate boat" (Google search "pirate cruises") that was packed to the gills every day when we went out with a few. It just is the way it is. People are crazy over ships that look like "pirate ships."

3. Other ships have gone down, or lost crew over the last decade. In part because of social media, this story has become even bigger.

4. In all reality, no matter what ship I was crew on, there was notoriety. People often would be crowding the docks when we arrived, and eager to see us sail or explore the boat. We certainly never worried about being ignored!

All in all, please keep your allegations to yourself. We are still mourning the loss to our community.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook