SailNet Community - View Single Post - Top 10 Sailboats Easiest & Best to Single Hand
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012

Skol is on a distinguished road
Re: Top 10 Sailboats Easiest & Best to Single Hand

To echo what others have mentioned, "easiest and best" I believe come with experience and familiarity, regardless of the boat. I am pretty comfortable single handing my own boat. But stepping aboard the exact same make and model boat, yet setup differently for the skipper's preferences, I am flat out lost.

This statement will likely draw scorn but, for older boats (like mine) that still have all the halyards at the mast, I've come to the conclusion that an autopilot will be easier to fit and more useful for singlehanding than retrofitting the onslaught of deck organizers, blocks, stoppers, and cabin top winches to run everything aft to the cockpit. I've made the decision to stick with hank on sails and keep a modest inventory to change the headsails to conditions as I sail mostly on the bay. Your preferences for furling or non-furling and local waters will dictate how the boat is rigged. I'm definitely in the "less is more" category, which seems to be against modern thinking.

cheers,
-Ike

s/v Skol
Berkeley, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook