SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oceanis 38 to buy or not to buy
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Oceanis 38 to buy or not to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyd View Post
I looked at an Oceanis 38 over the weekend and fell in love with it .
I have never sailed a beneteau before ....please tell me your thoughts good and bad on the boat and quality .......
I can only find a couple minor problems with the boats
what are your thoughts on this ????
In the forward V berth and the double stern cabins there is material covering the hull that has peeled off
it seems from moisture/ sweating on the inside of the hull
does anyone else have this problem ????
the opening ports ....leak just a bit around the black lip seal ...I was thinking cleaning them with vinager and water solution would clean the rubber and then that should stop the dripping ......and ideas ????
tks Paddy
Every older Beneteau, will eventually have the sagging liners. Some of the newer boats they seem to be using hard gelcoat instead. The older style head liners have a foam backing that breaks down over time and sags. It is a nasty job to scrape it off and some just smooth it out and paint, others put up other materials.

They do seem to make a quality boat for sure though. I have looked at a few, and have liked all I looked at. Check keel bolts carefully as most have a cast iron keel, and replacing them is a chore. (this was a deal killer on one I looked at) cast iron keels have advantages and disadvantages, so it is not out just in it self, just requires some extra diligent maintenance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook