SailNet Community - View Single Post - Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33

Anders,
Sounds like it is racing AND blue water capability you are interested in - as well as being able to single hand.
I like using these simple spec sheets for comparing 2 boats:
SOUTHERN CROSS 28 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
MORGAN 33 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
There is also the sail calculator that will compare 2 boats for you: Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats

There are lots of conflicting data points you can look at though:
- The LWL of the M33 is about 24' while the SC28 is about 20' which should make the M33 faster
- The M33 weighs more than the SC28 by over 1 ton which may make her less nimble in light winds. It may also make her less tender in winds.
Then there are the SA/Disp, Bal/Disp and Disp/length ratios which don't help me too much viscerally. This is why I'm hoping that one of the guys with actual design credentials shows up to comment.

I have nothing against Morgans per se. The only one I was on was a M36 that was sadly in need of ... everything and was a mooring queen - before it lost its mast. A boat like that in top shape could go places I am sure.

I think that Donna Lange's circumnav proved that the SC 28' can do it - even though she had some serious set backs along the way - IIRC. It costs real money to re-fit a boat for the big ocean though.

For an ocean going vessel it seems one should have:
- life raft
- radar
- SSB or Sat phone
- storm drogue (Jordan Series Drogue or similar)
- good medical kit
according to ARC guidelines, all of which can cost a pretty penny.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook