SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyM View Post
He All,
Problem is that the PO installed one propane line that has a "t" at the stove to a copper line all the way to the hot water heater in the head. We need one fuel line to each appliance from the fuel source but can we run a hose from tank to the copper line or do we need to rip out all the copper line so we have one single "unbroken" fuel line (ie, hose) to appliance?

Seems to me code language is vague on this detail;

"A-1.9.5.6 Fuel supply lines shall be continuous lengths of tubing, piping, or hose from the regulating device, solenoid valve, or leak detector to the appliance, or to the flexible section at the appliance."

Thanks,
JudyM
I had nearly the exact same problem. I had a rubber (neoprene?) propane tubing that ran to the stove and then there was a threaded "T" fitting whereby it split to the cabin heater and the galley stove.

Our surveyor told us that the "T" fitting was a possible leak source and needed to be removed from the cabin. What we did was put the "T" AFTER the solenoid but above the deck level, and then run 2 lengths of tubing, one to the stove and one to the heater. This eliminated the possibility (in theory) of a leak at the "T" fitting below decks.

I agree that the wording is vague. By their wording I would be out of compliance also even though my leaking "T" fitting would be above decks and the propane would flow overboard.

I was under the impression (always dangerous) that brazed copper fittings ARE considered part of an unbroken tube and "T" fittings were allowed with them...

You should call and ask your surveyor for clarification. Whatever your planned fix is, run it by them first for approval. That's part of what you paid them for.

Stay warm!
MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook