SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dodger Sticker Shock!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Dodger Sticker Shock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
The bottom line is that owning a boat is expensive. This is why I do my own work, including canvas. There is no way that I could afford to own my boat otherwise.
Yep same for us and being around 70 for both of us probably won't have the boat all that long relatively so even if we could afford those prices we would never get a fraction of the money back when it came time to sell. It is one thing putting an expensive Dodger/Bimini/Whatever on a $80,000+ boat vs. say a $30,000+ dollar boat.

We have done a number of canvas projects...

Ruth Canvas Mods Index

...for both boats and could never of afforded to of had them done. They have been fun and rewarding to do. They still have been an expense that we will probably never make back when we sell either boat, but they will make the boats easier to sell and we will get a lot of enjoyment out of the boats while we own them because of the mods.

Of course.....

...they don't look like what a professional canvas guy is going to do, but ...

.....we aren't ashamed of them either and there are things that we have done that I just haven't seen in professionally done work either. If you do these projects yourself you can do some extra little things that would really add to the cost if you were paying to have them done.

I've used the same approach with our house and vehicles,

Sum

================================================

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook