SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oceanis 38 to buy or not to buy
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Oceanis 38 to buy or not to buy

If you are looking for a good family coastal cruising boat, It will meet your requirements.
The statements above about roller furling main and wing keel our correct. She is not going to point well. I know from experience. We did convert out our main sail for when we give it a go at some long distance racing, so a good sail loft can make a non furling sail to work for special limited occasions.
Our head liner is solid, not fabric. It is nice that Benny provided access to points that have deck hardware installed, but it is very inconvenient if you want to add a piece of hardware in a different location.
We don't have material covering the exposed walls, ours are covered in veneered wood / fake wood paneling.
I am only speaking in general terms, I can not address the exact model as we sail a 361.

What year is the boat?
What model? I know you said Oceanis 38, but I thought that it wasn't until recently, say the past 6 years or so that they went with single digit model numbers. That being the case, I would not expect the liner material to be falling down already.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook