SailNet Community - View Single Post - Non wood interior sole alternative
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Real-world experience with Lonseal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas View Post
Just ordered some samples of Lonseal Teak & Holly for possible use on my cabin sole. Can anyone here speak from experience as to its durability in an application such as this?

I live in the northeast (LI), so the boat (Pearson 30) does experience some temp extremes. Existing cabin sole is fine, just looking to dress her up a bit.
I have some 1 foot sq samples glued to the sole for a test of wear and slip resistance when wet. seems to hold up very good. the dull finish gets the dirtiest but looks the most real. the matte finish is the slipperiest, but not that much difference. so far the gloss finish is the best for slip when wet, who knew, but it does show the scratches the most . I am thinking of using the matte finish. if I use the gloss it will require me to put gloss on all the other teak so it will look as good as the new flooring.
biggest problem I have is how to finish the edges as it is a fiberglass sole and is rolled up into the sides with a large radius. I think all the dirt will catch around the edge of the Lonseal and may start to peel up.
I have samples of all the brands of this material and it looks like it is all made by the same manufacturer all samples look identical. I would guess it is made by Lonseal as they are the only one that is a flooring manufaturer

Last edited by overbored; 12-12-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook