SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reassurance and your thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Reassurance and your thoughts?

I agree with buy the boat, get the book and learn yourself.

I never had to because when I was 12 Dad bought the boat... We were all keen as mustard to go sailing! But he wouldn't let us on board.
He went solo from day 1 sitting in the cockpit, next day with engine on, no sails, then main sail only... Etc etc. it would have driven me spare!

When we first were allowed on we were never allowed to cleat the genoa sheets but had to hand hold them the whole time... Bizarre stuff like that... Then dad joined a sailing club and the first Saturday races we were in with some experienced crew. .. Well all the not cleating and other BS went out the door...
Instead of being terrified in 10 knots all the boats in our division added more sail and left us for dead. Every mistake or gutlessnes, meant we were last back to the clubhouse. That made the sail handling tight!

Within a year or so I was doing the Saturday races with Dad, Friday night social races on other people boats, and Sunday racing skiffs.

All in all I think it was racing that taught most, and most quickly. Sail jobs like reefing that may take 10 minutes after 30 minutes thought are tucked in or shaken in seconds if you need to do it on every leg of a race. Putting the spinnaker up 3 or 4 times in an afternoon does the same.

These days there is lots of divisions that don't require spinnakers so you don't need to buy one.

Sailing is easy. It's just having the confidence to do it that's more difficult racing gives confidence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook