SailNet Community - View Single Post - Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012
Blue water Wannabe

andersbro is on a distinguished road
Re: Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33

I recently got a very helpful response from Rob (a rigger in Florida who owns an outfit called True North) who owned one for about 18 years. I hope he does not mind if I copy his comments here:
I have sold my Morgan after sailing her for 18 years. She's on the light side for her length. Her standing rigging is sufficient (7/32 and 3/16" D shrouds and stays) for her lower aspect mainsail and masthead rig. She was designed with weekend club racing and over-nighters in mind.
I have sailed her thru 30 knots and 8 foot seas. Because she is( by her then standards) light displacement and narrow beam she is a bit more tender. The roller boom was horrible, a single line reefing system would do well to improve handling. Running rigging for main and vang along with the job furler into the cockpit makes her easier up handle because decks are relatively narrow. Her motion in a seaway is often less comfortable (magnified by her light displacement) than similar sized boats with more beam.
She sails beautifully.
She would not be my first choice for lives board or lengthy cruises...but I loved her and would sail her just about anywhere...probably not to Bermuda...although she did sail there and back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook