SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pumpout Costs
Thread: Pumpout Costs
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road
Re: Pumpout Costs

When Connecticut went for a "No Discharge" zone several years ago, it was necessary to provide evidence to the Federal EPA that there were enough pump out facilities that it was actually feasible to have such a zone. I believe this was standard operating procedure when a state wanted to enforce a "No Discharge" zone

Rhode Island got their "no Discharge" zone before we got ours at the eastern end of Connecticut. We followed at our end of the state by establishing the zone starting from the Rhode Island border and incrementally working to the west. I don't know how it worked at the other end of the state.

In our area all of the pump outs that I'm aware of are free. Most--probably all- were at least subsidized by the State. The "free" pump out boat Rob mentioned that serves the Mystic River (including Noank) is funded by the towns of Groton (lions's share) and Stonington to cover the staffing costs. The original pump out boat was a gift from the State. BTW, the Stonington contribution comes from the mooring fees on the Stonington side of the Mystic River.

The pump out boats that serve Westerly (e.g., Napatree Point) and Block Island are also free. I've always tipped them and assume most folks tip as well, because all of the operators I've encountered seem to be a cheerful lot. Let's keep it that way!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook