SailNet Community - View Single Post - Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33

I think you will find that most success long term ocean sailors did a full re-rig before setting out. This included all new wire and often upgrading to a larger size. Also includes new chain plates again upgrading to larger. I have never heard of any successful multi-year ocean sailors who just jumped on an older boat with original rig and sailed for years. I have heard of folks who have tried and lost their rig or rudder etc.
The loading and unloading happens thousands of times per day. Stuff breaks. A typical New England sailor may sail 100 hours a year (20 days at 4 hours per day plus a trip to block island). A one month passage would equal seven years of that kind of usage. It could be argued that the wear could dramatically exceed that wear however. If you do mostly 4 to 6 hour day sails how often are you going to sail in 30 plus knots. On a passage you may have to spend a few days in 35 to 40. Not big deal the boat an you will do fine, you will even make some good time but the stress on the rig will be higher.

So one year of full time sailing can for some boat equal 10 years coastal day sailing.
So from your point of view if you are serious about this just what kind of condition is going to be your minimum?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook