SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get the money for your first sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post
So starting to really think I need to get a boat and just sail over doing all these courses, but being a full time student, money is an issue.

How did you come to take ownership of your first boat, and what do you suggest for someone looking to get their first? (Still want a contessa 26 or 32)

-Snow laden economics major, sailer to be.

A lot of great stories here, I really admire you folks that saved and waited patiently for years to get your boats...

I wont bother you with "first boats" because they were stinkpot's, small ones, but stinkpot's nonetheless The first sailboat registered in my name was a 20' Buccaneer for all of $400. It was my wifes first boat and my first sailboat ownership. We had so much fun with it for three seasons. It reminds me...in reality, its about being out on the water, no matter what the boat. I have as many great sailing memories on that little POS as I do on any other boat. Anyway, with kids on the way, the Buc wasn't going to cut it and we purchased our current boat in 2005. I'm not interested in having twofootitestis every few years, rather get the boat we wanted and could grow into as we gain experience.

I must admit, I don't have much patience...so we chose to use some savings and we financed the rest for 10 years (we're almost owners, 3 more years!) What we didn't budget for was a new engine, so we have had to wait until we saved enough to purchase one, two years on the hard paying dry storage fees, now that hurts (but the engine is paid for )

My advice FWIW, get a boat, anything you can practically afford now and enjoy it. There are some steals out there to be had. I was just talking to a guy at the marina the other day who just got himself a very nice Cal 31 in great shape for about $10,000.

Life is to precious and sometimes too short to wait, thats my philosophy anyway...go for it and make whatever sacrifice you need to realize your dreams

Last edited by T37Chef; 12-14-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook