SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VallelyJ View Post
Odds are that the copper fitting isn't brazed--probably a compression or flare fitting, in which case you don't have a continuous line. If you just run a new rubber hose from the solenoid to the heater you won't have to wonder if a fitting of unknown age or quality is leaking or if the copper has cracked anywhere. You may know that copper hardens where it flexes or vibrates and becomes succeptible to cracking. Rubber hose that's protected from chafe eliminates that worry. I think you'll find you need a seperate solenoid for each appliance, too. Otherwise all the lines get propane in them when you use just one appliance, defeating the purpose of the remote solenoid in the first place.
Why would that defeat the purpose of the remote solenoid? The solenoid is designed to keep the propane off until you are using an appliance and provide an easy avenue to shut off all propane flow to the boat should a leak occur. Should a leak be detected by an alarm, a single solenoid would quickly shut off ALL propane to the boat with the flip of one switch. In an automated system a single solenoid rigged to a sniffer would do the job correctly bu shutting off all propane to the boat if it "sniffed" any propane.

I suppose you could be using one appliance and the other could leak but no matter if the one in use is leaking or the one not in use is leaking the key is detection (by sniffer, alarm or nose) and quickly shutting it off, which a single solenoid would achieve as well or better than multiple separate solenoids would.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 12-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook