SailNet Community - View Single Post - Surveying a Freedom 36/38
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012

gamayun is on a distinguished road
Surveying a Freedom 36/38

Well, I finally did it. I just put an offer on a 36' Freedom cat-rigged sloop with the sugar scoop at the transom (which makes it a 38). If the owner accepts, I plan to get vessel and engine surveys done. It has a 28 HP Yanmar with 2100 hours and the mast is carbon fiber, so no standing rigging involved. I am interested in hearing from others about what things I should definitely get checked out or be aware of, whether on a Freedom or just in general, as this will be my first sailboat. It looks like the equipment and sails have not been upgraded for at least the past 12 years, and I have noticed some corrosion in places, but repairs seem to have been made when needed and most everything currently on the boat is in working order. Do you think I should get someone to climb the mast? I am also be interested in hearing about what upgrades would be most important to do right away (radar, chartplotter, life boat, etc?). I will be cruising offshore the mighty Pacific coast and racing/sailing on SF Bay.

Thanks for all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook