SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Thanks for posting. Great reading...and sad luck the one of all those guys.

At least this Captain was trying to evade a Hurricane, not sailing into one

Regards

Paulo
THE SHIP AND THE STORM is a riveting read, highly recommended...

I thought I had mentioned the loss of the FANTOME previously re the unpredictability of late-season hurricanes originating in the Western Caribbean, but I see now that I had not... But certainly, every tall ship captain would have been familiar with the story, and the surreal manner in which Mitch literally stalked, and then killed, the FANTOME... Only furthers one's bewilderment at Walbridge's decision to attempt to outwit another late-season storm spawned in roughly the same area as Mitch...

Some may recall that the Caribbean 1500 rally wound up getting hammered pretty good that year, as well... 2 boats were abandoned, fortunately without any loss of life... But, the historical unpredictability of storms like Lenny, Mitch, Wilma, and now Sandy, really highlights the risks of making the passage from the east coast to the islands, while ANYTHING of a tropical nature might be brewing in the Western Caribbean... Mitch literally came back from the dead, to take a shot at the fleet of boats headed to the islands that fall. Charlie Doane's account of how the rally fleet dealt with the remnants of Mitch is a worthwhile read, as well:

Quote:

"To tell you the truth, we were worried about Mitch from the very beginning," she exclaimed. "If we hadn't been in the rally, we would have never left in the first place."

HEAVY-WEATHER SAILING: Remembering Hurricane Mitch

Last edited by JonEisberg; 12-13-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook