SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel line shut off options?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Fuel line shut off options?

I am thinking through the options for fuel line shut off.

Currently I have a simple mechanical valve mounted to the 90 degree elbow fitting exiting the top of the tank. A 90 degree throw opens it and closes it. I have been preparing a bit of linkage to make this more accessible for my personal convenience and so I can operate it without opening the engine space for access. A solenoid valve would be a good solution. It would be wired to the engine's ignition so it it opens when the key is on and fails closed if the power is off. I like it! Safety and convenience! The problem is overriding it if the battery is dead and I want to start the A-4 by hand with its crank. No electricity means no fuel.

I am thinking I will mount a 3 way mechanical valve right at the tank. Send fuel through the solenoid so it is "automatic" in its "normal" open position and have a bypass line that can be mechanically changed to direct fuel around the solenoid if necessary when starting without batteries is required. A T fitting on the engine side of the solenoid valve should do it.

Sounds simple and makes sense to me. Does anyone have a set up like this? Any reason I shouldn't do it?

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook