SailNet Community - View Single Post - Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012
Blue water Wannabe

andersbro is on a distinguished road
Re: Southern Cross 28 seaworthiness vs Morgan 33

David, Thanks for that very good perspective!

In this particular case (M33) the boat came with new larger stays, and a better mast/boom setup, so some of the structural/operational aspects of the M33 have been addressed, however the manner of handling the seas is of some concern to me. I am also a little concerned about the unsupported spade rudder, having heard rumors of such rudders been torn off in less pleasant seas and wind.

I have also been having some good interchanges via email with Jerry, the guy who sold me the M33. (We consider it "our" boat since he clearly has his heart still in the boat as well, and somehow I see myself helping fulfill his dream of getting this beauty going.) In any case, I think he also has an interesting point (in deciding between the two boats), that being that I should simply go out there and "do it" irrespective of the boat and then figure out the right way forward once I get a better idea of what I want, and even if the cruising life is really for me! He relates stories of friends who have done it and hated the life and others who went the other way. He also mentioned that he has never found a boat that was perfect, and that rather it is a process of refinement.

Of course the chosen boat needs to be configured appropriately, so as not to fail at the first sign of a strong gust and large waves.

I have sailed the SC28 in some pretty strong winds in "The Slot" in the SF Bay, although I should have shortened sail (25-30 kn winds is my guess? Only one other boat was out), she was well balanced and did quite nicely (albeit a bit slow due to having not shortened sail - a good learning experience) And I had a blast sailing her out the Gate (SF Bay) in storm swells that were 10-15' high (maybe more? The bowsprit tapped the tops of the waves as I would drive into them, and the waves were so high that they totally hid the Golden Gate Bridge! This was the bad day - or maybe the day after? -that one of the race boats smashed up on the Farallons in which some folks died, a very sobering event.), and it was exhilarating though! But the SC handled it very well, and it took me an hour or so so start feeling comfortable with the manner in which she eased over the large swells, totally dry! (For those interested, I have a short description of this trip on my web site: geotestunlimited dot com under the drop down section"Fun Stuff". It was a blast!)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook