SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do?
Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do?

I've been sailing for almost a year, so I am happy to help you with advice.

Just make sure you get a full keel boat. But not one of those ones where the bolts get weak and lets the keel fall off. You also need ten life rafts and seventeen EPIRBs, and duct tape to hold the VHF to the EPIRB when you abandon ship halfway to the Bahamas, as most sinkings occur when people hit a submerged container while crossing the Gulf Stream.

I think you will be okay if you move to Florida and get a job while you take ASA 101-783. It will give you time to look for a boat and your old lady can take lessons, too. Since the lessons will cost more than your boat budget, and take fifteen years to complete, you will forget your foolhardy notions of ever sailing anywhere and leave those dreams to other people who, by the grace of God, made mistakes and learned along the way without dying. They are special and you are not. They read about Fastnet 79 and how Nick Ward got left for dead because there was only one liferaft and he got stranded on the boat without one, which is why you need redundant liferafts. And the boat he was on was new and lots better than yours, so that's one more reason you will never make it.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 12-13-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook