SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do?
Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Plus, you should always sail with a group of people on your boat and a group of boats around your boat - safety in numbers - say at least 5 crew on your boat and 20 or more other boats in close proximity around you (maybe even tied together). I believe the Round the World in 15 Years Rally only charges a cool million for the privilege of endangering you.
This is an excellent point. It solves the sleeping issue, since COLREGS are clear that you can never sleep at sea. All the boats can be lashed together into a flotilla, making them effectively a single boat. That way, if at least one person on any vessel is awake, the others can sleep and no regs have been violated. So long as none of the vessels is a Catalina, because it's not blue water boat. It will spontaneously sink and drag the entire flotilla to the briney deep.

Everyone should carry a Boye knife to slash the lashings if this occurs. You hate to watch a poor family aboard a Catalina go down, but the Law Of The Sea dictates that everyone in the flotilla shouldn't die because some crazy fool left the confines of the marina on a Catalina. Let's hope Catalina didn't manufacture these poor souls' liferaft, too.

Don't worry, though. If their EPIRB squawks AIS GPS someone with the appropriate VHF will intercept the coordinates and go to their rescue. (It won't be me, however. I do have 14 RADARs on board, but I don't ever look at them because RADAR is a crutch. But if the sinking happens in fog, then they might get lucky because I'll be sailing by instruments and will see their blip disappear, or their AIS GPS from their EPIRB will display on my screen.)

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 12-13-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook