SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe

Dam! I start to understand this stuff. I was right about the last prevision: Jean-Pierre was not able to escape completely to the weak winds, and lost 100NM to the two leading boats in some hours. Stamm was effectively screwed and Alex had taken the right option and even so is losing a lot of time.

Stamm lost 300Nm in 24 hours and had ended up having to take the same option as Alex (sailing North of the High). Alex had took that option first and has gained 22Nm to Stamm (and overtook him) but lost 200Nm to the leaders.

I guess that Jean-Pierre will still lose some miles to the two in the front and then will be able to maintain that difference in about 200Nm.

It seems that the leading pack will be now a trio, with two of them in close battle for the first place.

Regarding the occasion where Gabart was winning over Armel with a speed difference that was incomprehensible to me, Michel Desjoyeaux, two times winner of this race the (" the teacher" has is called among the other racers) and François mentor had come to shed some light over it on an interview:

And what is the difference between Armel and Francois?

To me there is no surprise what is happening. I know what they do and they way they sail and race. They are just playing what they love to do, how they love to do it.

Francois has a secret weapon?

I know why Francois is so fast. He has a sail ( blast reacher) which is an improvement of what I had four years ago. We are sure now that Armel does not have the same sail. It works on the angles that he had when he broke the record, so around 120 degrees with around 35-40knots of wind, with ideal conditions of swell and sea.

Three days ago we were at the Soiree du Champions with the French Federation and they called François live during the ceremony and he said “It is OK, the wind has dropped a little, 30-35kts and I have been sleeping a lot.

And the whole theatre was silent. They could not believe it. They thought he was joking, but I am sure it’s right because in those conditions you have nothing else to do. And you have to because when it drops and you need bigger sails then you have much more work to do, you have to be on the deck and be ready to drive the boat and be ready to manoeuvre

Funny these guys that sleep a lot with the boat on 30/35K wind surfing at over 20K, sometines 30K.

This tells also what these boats are able to do. Another racer in what seemed to be very demanding circumstances, said something like this (while the water was passing over his head and the boat was doing over 20k) you have just to adjust the boat for the circumstances and the boat does the rest.

No wonder this kind of boats to be the major hull influence on modern designed cruisers.

Day 34 highlights - Thursday, December 13, 2012 por VendeeGlobeTV

Last edited by PCP; 12-13-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook