SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel line shut off options?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuel line shut off options?

Hi Bristol,

I am with you on this, except... The reason I started considering changing my linkage re-design for the mechanical shutoff, to a system including a solenoid valve, was an outgrowth of a fire safety discussion I have been having on another thread, CO2...

One of the strong points made in that thread is having the fuel shut off ASAP if you are dealing with a fire. If there was a fire in my engine space I would have to physically go to the fuel valve and do that. I have no problem with remembering to do it manually. Like you, I have forgotten it more than once but that is not an issue for me either. Changing the location of the manual valve to make the "reach" more convenient makes sense and I enjoy those little projects. That was what I was up to.

If the fuel is managed by a solenoid valve it will shut off immediately when power is turned off. That condition would be more easily managed and be accomplished when the engine got turned off. It makes sense to me now, for safety reasons, even if the manual option isn't a problem.

KISS is my motto, too. Keep it safe is something that should get factored into the equation. I think this "extra complexity" is a worthy one for fire safety.

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook