SailNet Community - View Single Post - Texas to Isla Mujeres
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Texas to Isla Mujeres

Heading East from Isla is next to impossable. It's up wind, due to the trades. You need to head up through The Straits of Fla, over to the Bahamas, and beat out to I-65, I usually get a little north of the Bahamas and try and catch some westerly's to take me out there, and then down the 65th meridian to St. John. It is possable to gunk hole up through the bay's of southern Cuba, cross the Windward Passage to Hispanola, beat up the north coast, cross the Mona passage and beat your way up the south coast of P.R. and then cross over to st. Thomas but I would'nt want to. I sailed from St. thomas to Belize non stop one time, 1500 miles of down wind trade sailing, 2 week's. I tried to imagine going the other way, with long 200 mile tacks you would probably have to cover 6 tousand miles of up wind, up sea sailing. It would beat the sh!t of you and your boat, each swell would set you back 1/5 the distance you just made. That's just my oppinion, someone else may have a different experience with that trip.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook