SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a living as a liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

It was suggested by a friend; that If I were to retire and cruise, I could, consult, service, and help owners with HVACR. Since that is what I know and do best.

Well, I'm retired... sort of LOL

I'm still All around epa certified HVACR tech and former full service contractor. (let the last full time employee go over 8 yrs ago)

Boat, like domestic (home refrigerators) AC/fridges/ reverse cycle are really A PITA.

Don't think I want the aggravation of boat owners screaming at me in 90-110 heat because beer is warm, or ice cream is melting... Boating should be fun right?

If I had refrigerants on my boat with associated equipment someone would be sure to steal it. especially R-12 Then there's 22, R134, 404A, 409, 410A,and a few others LOL

Then, there's the guarded and somewhat hostile " Approved; yard employed or associated" contractors. (20%) is the usual cut. That would be a difficult thing to get past in most places.

And, since most if not all people needing HVACR help won't know me or my real qualifications, they wouldn't hire me anyway.

Imagine ( I go to sleep early) getting boarded by a few tipsy sailors saying; "oh Denise won't mind if we borrow her vacuum pump and gauges" Then I hear 30lbs of 134 hi$$ing out the can as it goes overboard "oh look she has R-12 too! HEY! DENISE YOU SLEEPING???"

So.... No! I don't think I could work and live aboard!

Nope.. not another day in paradise found!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook