SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a living as a liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

It's a little different then that in the dive Master world. You get a job at shop in Roatan, this is a temp job, dive master's can be rather transient when your in the scene. You fall in to a temp work visa under a resort work umbrella. You anchor out, live on your boat and work the shop for a few months. One job leads to another in that world, you find out so and so shop is looking for a dive master in another place and you sail there. I've cruised the Carribean Western Carribean this way. I was working on a research vessel in Belize in 1990-1991, I brought down my sail boat from Key West and anchored next to the research vessel. I was offerd a job on the Belize Agressor ( Live aboard Dive boat) they handle your right to work under their umbrella. I worked a few months, I found out they where looking for a dive master in Acumal Mexico, I sailed up anchored out near the resort, worked through spring as a dive masrter, found out they where looking for a dive master in the Key's,, sailed up, anchored out, worked through the summer, found out my buddy from Acumal was opening a shop In Roatan, sailed down worked through the winter. I only suggested it because I've done it and probably will again. I own a dive boat in Key west and and use transient dive master's, one who lived on his boat and got a job at Paradise Island in the Bahama's at Club Med and is over there anchored out swimming distance from the resort, working as dive master, and is looking for a job in in the Caribbean and plans to sail down there when they find one. You can't just cruise at will, you pick a nice place, put the word out, build a rep, make the circut.