SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lifesling or Horseshoe for MOB
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Lifesling or Horseshoe for MOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Are you sure about this? I would have to go and look for the tag on our Sling, but according to various web sites, it does meet USGC Requirements.

From the West Marine web page...

From Landfall Navigation...

Good Boat Gear . com...

Defender..

I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but they all say USGC Approved. Like I said, I check for the tag (In the spring).
Straight from the horses (CG's) mouth during a safety training at our Club (unless the local Coasties are misinformed). Further, however, have you ever tried to throw or heave one with the flotation/recovery line attached? It doesn't work too well particularly compared with a flotation cushion, throwable/inflatable device or even horse-shoe buoy when someone goes overboard unless the yacht's stationary. Even at only 4 knots, one is 100+ feet from a MOB if it takes someone else only 15 seconds to realize what's happened and respond appropriately. Different ships, different long splices however.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook