SailNet Community - View Single Post - Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
\

I never liked the trap door over the big hole ( Conservative birth canal). So I just raised the lip around it, and went for a lift out stainless lid from the thrift store. No liquids getting into the compost, and a far simpler solution. I just remove it when taking a dump. The rest of the time it keeps the compost drier.
No complaints with mine. Cost me under $25 to build. I'd never go back to a traditional head.
Agreed about the trap door and what chrisandcate says. Peeing while standing up is a really good way to ensure you get a lot of liquid in the poop part. As for the pros and cons of the trap door, it's nice that you don't have to reach into the bowl to fish out a lid, and figure out where to put said unsanitary lid, but it could use a lip to ensure urine doesn't get into the solids collection area. I may mod mine to build up the lip.

Another entrant to the market is the less sophisticated but simpler and cheaper C-head. It has a lot about it that I like....

C-Head portable composting toilets

Brent, thanks for the idea of the poop powder! I'll have to give that a try. I was planning on trying some of the liquid absorbing silica cat litter to augment my coconut coir, but that stuff looks better.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 12-14-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook