SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
European boat of the year: Performance cruisers:

Let's then see the nominees that interest most viewers of this thread, the performance cruisers:

MOVIE:

Europas Yachten des Jahres

This year was a great crop, specially if we consider performance cruisers. So many and so good that they had to pass one to the Luxury cruisers were he is competing with other more conventional luxury boats.

This year's nominees are:

Grand Soleil 39; Dufour 36 performance; Mc34 Patton, Sly 38 and Xp-50.

Well on this category it will be impossible to say who has more chances.

The grand Soleil 39 would be a major favorite for me but the British tester raised some doubts about the steering to be much race like, so I guess that if it is chosen it will be against his opinion. But I have read great reports about the boat and everybody else seems to love it, so I am very curious about the global opinion on this one. This boat has a great cruising interior and it is an innovative boat that started an all new design trend on Grand Soleil boats and marks also the arrival of Claudio Maleto has the new GS NA.

This is an outsider. It is one of those new performance boats made by a small but enthusiastic French small shipyard and it is much a semi custom boat with racing has a good part of its sailing program but also able to cruise in a lot more spartan conditions than the Grand Soleil. It is a Marc Lombard design and I have heard that the boat is a rocket.

Marsaudon Composites - Lorient - MC34 PATTON

On the Yacht movie, on top of this post the boat the boat seems to sail exceptionally well. Here a movie with almost no wind and the boat gliding softly, on conditions most cruisers would be dead on the water:

On the movie also the A27, a boat that was nominated but that by financial problems could not be tested (they were not be able to deliver a boat on the location).

Then the sly 38, with great specifications and absolutely beautiful, inside and outside. If the boat sails as well as it looks, I would chose this one as one of the favorites. It is a great looking design by a quite unknown Studio Lestuzzi. Let's hope the sailing qualities to be in accordance with the specifications and the looks

The Dufour 36 performance is a nice boat even if I find it a bit heavy. I don't think that it has much chances, or maybe the boat sails better than what I suspect and in that case it can be a contender. It has a nice interior but not really anything new or very exiting.

And finally the Xp 50. I confess I am partial about this one. I agree that it has nothing new regarding the other boats on the Xp series, like the XP44, but the boat seems absolutely perfect, I mean it is a very fast cruiser with an huge potential, it is easy to sail solo it is beautiful and has a great cruising interior. What would someone wish for more? Between this one and the Sly, well.... they have much more information and they will sail the boats. May the better win, and I bet they will have a big difficulty in choosing the best among all these great boats

Last edited by PCP; 12-15-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook