SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsheet rubbing vang...
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I agree with T34C that a block on that unused bail just aft of the vang will allow the mainsheet to be routed to the turning block at the base of the mast without creating much more of an obstruction than the vang already represents. That is exactly what i have done on my P-33-2 and it works great. (I have a soft vang for now but probably will buy a Garhauer rigid vang this winter. Denr is ragging on me too hard about that soft vang!)

Alternatively, SD's suggestion of changing out the mainsheet treatment at the traveler so that it is all contained there has merit as well. I did that on my previous boat with great success. But that depends on whether there's a dodger in the way of getting to the car on the traveler. The advantage of this option is that it cuts down on friction quite a bit, and you also can increase the leverage if needed to control the main in almost any conditions.

Either option should work.

Yes, nice Garhauer blocks -- I think the same ones I now have on my P-33-2.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook