SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

This is the one time Captain that sailed on that occasion talking.... and I am even more amazed:

In the 1980s, Hausman sold his business and began taking courses for his captain’s license.

A couple of years later, while working part time on boats in Miami, he was hired by the Bounty’s owners to sail the ship while Hurricane Andrew took aim at South Florida.
During Hurricane Andrew the sail plan was to go south as far as necessary. When the hurricane hit shore, the ship was about 50 miles south of it, said Hausman, who estimated there were 80- to 100-mph winds and 15- to 25-foot waves for about an hour and a half. The crew headed east until the hurricane passed before returning to Miami.

In that case, “it was a textbook situation,” Hausman said. As long as the ship could maintain the proper orientation in relation to the hurricane and no major mechanical problems occurred, he knew they were going to succeed.
His crew consisted of five volunteers — two of whom had adequate knowledge about sailing and three who didn’t.

Hausman said that, as captain, the responsibility is significant, but the crew’s efforts are vital.
“It all falls on you,” he said. “You just need to know about everything that could possibly happen.”
But he said the veterans help out the less experienced sailors — after all, everyone is in the same boat.

“You depend on the crew as much as they depend on you,” Hausman said.
Even with the rough conditions, the Harbor Hills resident said he didn’t have time to be nervous. He had experienced much worse weather, albeit on smaller ships..
Being out at sea on a wooden ship going 12 knots being propelled by the wind was an adventure, Hausman added. But he is quick to point out he wasn’t in it for the thrill of the ride.

“For me, it was really a matter of saving the ship,” he said."

and then referring to Bounty's accident and Hurricane Sandy he says:

Mistakes in a superstorm:

When reflecting on the Bounty’s recent sinking, Hausman said he doesn’t believe that only one error leads to a disaster at sea, he said.

“There’s always a series of bad choices, a series of problems that finally do you in,” Hausman said. “Sometimes, it just can’t be helped.”

Hausman has pinpointed what he knows of the Bounty’s route according to reports on a large sailing map, to try to discover what could have happened to lead the crew to abandon ship.

Considering the magnitude of Sandy, Hausman said he didn’t think it was the best plan to take the Bounty out to sea in the first place. He said it might have been a better idea to secure it to a dock.

Hausman said he thinks the captain may have underestimated the magnitude of the storm.
“(Walbridge) being a captain of the Bounty for 17 years, it was a judgment call I’m sure,” Hausman said. “It’s going to boil down to that. I think he misread how big Sandy was."

One-time captain of HMS Bounty reflects on tall ship's sinking - The Villages Daily Sun: Villages

For what I can understand this one time "Captain" without knowing the Ship with some helping hands, half of them with no experience took the Bounty out to escape Hurricane Andrews in 80/100 MPH winds with 25ft seas and finds himself qualified to find that this time should have stayed in Port?

Not that I do not agree with him but after what seem to me a crazy stunt like the one he describes he doesn't seem to have much moral to judge others for doing about the same he had done.

Last edited by PCP; 12-15-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook