SailNet Community - View Single Post - Duluth to Knife River
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Duluth to Knife River

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
What would the preferred anchor and gear for a run along the North shore?
Hi Down, do you mean the real north shore, or what American boaters refer to as the north shore, which is really the west shore, and which is well described by shanedennis? For the north shore (the Canadian shore), there are lots of anchorages to be found in most stretches. Bonnie Dahl's book, and the Great Lake Cruising Club, both have good listings. Active Captain is poorly populated with data up here. I've started to fill some in, but right now it's not very useful.

Most bottoms are mud/clay, although there is the occasional gravel and rock to be found. Weeds are a problem in only a very small number of anchorages. A bigger issue is logs. In those anchorages we toss out a trip line. Mostly you'll be anchoring in 25' or less, so I would recommend a minimum of 40' chain, with a total rode of at least 150'. Make sure your anchor is properly sized for your boat. Bigger is always better.

On my previous boat (a 34-footer) we carried a CQR and a danforth which we would alternate depending on the bottom. We had 60' chain. On my current boat, a 37' heavy displacement, I anchor almost 100% of the time on a Rocna, using all-chain.