SailNet Community - View Single Post - Island Packet 350 for a family of 4?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Island Packet 350 for a family of 4?

The IP35 is a pretty roomy 35 and has a very good layout. We are 4 (2 teenage kids!) on our 35ft boat with much less beam than the IP and we manage fine for months on end. With young kids everything is easier as they need less space and privacy. You could split the v-berth with a canvass divider to make a "private" berth for each child, leaving you the aft cabin. Having dedicated berths for each crew is nice as you don't have to make up beds at night and put the cabin back together in the morning. I think the main cabin will have sea births that meet your needs underway as well. The IP35 has good tankage for 4 and not many boats in that range can beat it for storage space. Is there really much of a difference between the 35 and 38? At any rate, a boat is always going to be small compared to any house or apartment. If you all get along well, any boat is big enough. Personally, I think I'd go with the 35 and with the savings make a very good dodger/ bimini and zippered side curtains for the cockpit. It's where you'll spend most of your time and a comfortable cockpit that can be used in sun and rain is a godsend. If you are going to be in the tropics, invest in some canvass awnings that shade the whole deck and allow you to keep hatches open during rains. This will keep life on board at anchor very comfortable and cool.