SailNet Community - View Single Post - Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post

3) Yes, you have to sit to pee, at least with the Nature's Head (others I can't speak of). I think standing to pee is the main cause of urine finding its way into the composting chamber as it flows up over the lip with the pressure of the delivery. Most boat guys sit to pee anyway, don't they?

I hope this helps.
Agreed on the first 2 points.

No, unless I'm sailing on someone else's boat and it's dictated by the captain or I'm in a serious seaway I stand to pee. I'm just stubborn that way. It DOES cause liquid to enter the solids chamber and has caused me tome toilet problems such as having to add more fiber or empty the toilet sooner than I otherwise would have.

I plan to install a small urinal in the separate shower area and build up the lip that separates the diverter in the Nature's Head. I could solve the problem instantly by sitting to pee, but I'm stubborn....

As for number 2 (your second point, not THAT number 2, well, actually yes that kind of.... oh never mind!) diarrhea will add more liquid to the solids chamber but not usually enough to cause problems. I've often wondered what I would do if I drank too much rum, or got a stomach bug or seasick and had to barf? That seems like too much liquid to compost! Luckily for me I keep the rum consumption in enough moderation, haven't got a stomach flu aboard yet and haven't gotten seasick. I guess I'd go for the kitchen sink...

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook