SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountydaughter View Post
... Everyone is entitled to their opinions but a lot of it IS speculation. ... What happened was an absolute tragedy but comments that he was "stupid" and "egotistical" could not be further from the truth. I just feel that whether you have sailing experience or not no one will ever know why he made the decision that he made and any comments are pure conjecture.
I am very sorry for your loss.

I don't remember that someone had said here that he was a stupid man. Clearly he was not. I believe that what was said was that he had taken a stupid decision. That does not mean that he was stupid. Even the brighter of men sometime does stupid things.

A stupid mistake means a foolish or careless mistake.

stupid - definition of stupid by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

An inexplicable decision is many times a foolish one, otherwise it would have a rational explanation.

Regarding Bounty's Captain (we are not here talking about the man, that as was said by many, I am sure was a great human being) but about his behavior as a Captain and the term egotistical has to do with that condition, I mean while Captain.

I believe that the term Egotiscal was used in a sense that means: A boastful Captain and that seems to correspond to the image that he gave from himself on that video were he talks about chasing Hurricanes. Most of us believed that he was boasting. Do you believe that he was speaking truly about that?

egotistical - definition of egotistical by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Off course both statements are opinions and as such can not correspond to the truth but that I think acceptable in what regards what we know about the facts.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-16-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook